1. What is Pebble Tossers?
Founded in 2008, Pebble Tossers, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) Georgia non-profit youth service organization with a mission to ignite a passion for life-long volunteerism in youth that develops their character and impacts our world. They accomplish this by matching children’s talents and abilities with the need of their community.
Pebble Tossers teaches the value of volunteerism, philanthropy and encourages kids that everyone can make a difference. Young people are encouraged to think about the world beyond their front door, address issues with constructive methods, and be catalysts for positive change in their communities.
2. Who can use Pebble Tossers?
Anyone! There are three ways to register:
- Family: Individuals, couples, or families of any size.
- Group: Scout Troops, classes, and youth organizations of any kind.
- Affiliate Charity Organization: Non-profit organizations request to be added to our database. They create their own account for staff approval and then can update their profile as needed and post volunteer needs and projects.
3. How can I get my child or group involved?
Use the online registration to create a Family or Group membership. Search for volunteer projects by Browsing Projects, Browsing Organizations, or Get Matched with a project using the Pebble Tossers custom search engine.
4. At what age should my children be able to volunteer?
Any age! Kids learn by seeing and doing. It starts at home with simple things like making a bed and then moves up to more complex things like organizing a neighborhood Lemonade Stand or serving meals to the homeless. There have been studies that show when kids start volunteering at an early age with their families, they are more likely to volunteer as an adult. Pay it forward today and get your kids involved in community service.
5. What if my child can only participate in one or a few events a year?
No problem! Starting is the hardest part. Each small experience adds to their knowledge of volunteering, service, and philanthropy. Every child should have an opportunity to make a difference in their community.
6. Does a parent or adult need to participate with the child?
Pebble Tossers recommends that anyone under the age of 18 be accompanied by an adult for all site visits. There are organizations that have minimum age requirements and that is described in their profile.
7. Can Pebble Tossers schedule my service project for me?
Yes! We have developed a Concierge Volunteer Experience because we have so many people asking to help with this exact question! For a tax deductible donation, we can customize a project for you, your family, a birthday party, scout troop, bar/bat mitzvah project, etc! Send us an email at [email protected] to find out more.
8. Why should my child record his service hours?
Keeping a record of service hours in one place, provides valuable information for schools, Scouts, and youth organizations that require service hours. It is valuable information when applying for schools, colleges, and adding to resumes. Besides, who can remember every detail! You focus on the next project and Pebble Tossers will keep track of the ones you’ve completed.
9. Can my child record service hours that he found on his own and not off the Pebble Tossers website?
Yes. Under Record Hours, select “Non-Pebble Tosser Project” and enter the information needed.
10. What does it mean to have a service project “Verified”?
Verification that a project was completed is necessary for some organizations (schools, Scout troops, etc…) The Project Print-Out has a place for a representative of the non-profit organization to sign which states that the child a) came to their organization, and b) completed the project as described.
Pebble Tossers is a Certifying Organization for the President’s Volunteer Service Awards. The President’s Volunteer Service Award recognizes individuals, families, and groups that have achieved a certain standard – measured by the number of hours of service over a 12-month period or cumulative hours earned over the course of a lifetime.
11. This organization is awesome! How do I donate to Pebble Tossers to ensure a ripple of giving continues in my community?
Pebble Tossers accepts donations online via PayPal or checks can be mailed to Pebble Tossers, Inc., 1155 Mt. Vernon Hwy, NE, Suite 800, Dunwoody, GA 30338. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and our tax id number is 26-3588376, so your donations are completely tax deductible.
12. Why volunteer with your family?
- Family volunteering helps local non-profit organizations broaden their services and their community outreach while improving public image and relations.
- Involving children in the volunteer process helps them feel valued, acquire new skills, and develop compassion and understanding for others. They can experience and learn respect for people of different backgrounds, physical appearances, and beliefs.
- Working together as a family provides opportunities for passing on family values, sharing quality time, learning the importance of working together, and discovering more about your community. Family volunteering will have a lasting, positive impact on our society that will have a “ripple effect” for generations to come.
13. Can my corporation use Pebble Tossers?
Certainly, Pebble Tossers would be happy to discuss working with you to plan a Day of Service. Often, corporations will invite the families of employees, clients, vendors, and other guests to participate as well.